Forklifts, pallet jacks and other mobile equipment make material handling easier and more efficient for employees of factories, warehouses and distribution centres. But when not utilised properly, this heavy machinery can also put the safety of material handling in jeopardy.
Below are 10 ways safety can be improved through the proper use of material handling equipment, as recommended by our partners in McCue.
Improving Material Handling Safety
- Allow only trained, certified and qualified employees to operate forklifts and other heavy machinery.
- Perform daily inspections and audits on all material handling equipment.
- Keep paths and aisles clean and free of any loose debris that could get in the way of machinery.
- Operators and supervisors should know and adhere to the size and weight restrictions for each piece of equipment and never attempt to lift or transport more than the recommended capacity.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) should be worn at all times during equipment operation, and seat belts should always be used.
- Employees who do not operate machinery but work near it should also be properly trained in safe practices for doing so.
- When finished with use, equipment should be lowered to ground level, turned off with keys removed and stored out of the way.
- Materials should be inspected before loading to ensure the pallet is intact, any lids or protective wrapping are properly sealed, and the stack is stable.
- Have an emergency plan in place and make sure all employees know how to execute it.
- Perform preventive maintenance on all equipment on a regular basis to ensure it is always in good working order.
Implementing Safety Measures
One of the easiest ways to improve material handling safety in any facility is to install bollards, protectors, guards and other items wherever heavy machinery is used.
Alongside McCue, SVL specialize in damage prevention and impact protection. So contact us today, and get your premises up to date with the latest designs and products.
- Crash and pedestrian barriers
- Rack guards and end protectors
- Column guards
- Door protectors & Goal Posts
- Flex posts
These products can greatly improve safety by minimizing impact and absorbing shock when collisions happen.